Phone (07) 5424 1084
Brisbane Valley Funerals is a second generation family owned
and operated funeral business based in Esk, Queensland.
We have been serving families of the Brisbane Valley,
Somerset Region and beyond for more than 35 years.
We pride ourselves on our caring and personalised service.
.....A local family caring for other local families....
How it all began..
Rodney and Edna Weir purchased the premises at 130 Ipswich St, Esk to relocate their business, Esk Newsagency in 1980. With that purchase came an unusual combination of businesses including hardware, real estate and the local funeral directors.
Rod was a family man who loved his community, so funeral directing came naturally to him. He embraced the possibility to help families and his community in their time of need and continued to do so until he passed away in September 2004.
Rod & Edna's daughter, Kay, who grew up and assisted in the family businesses, along with husband Mark, carry on the tradition to this day.
The Courthouse Chapel..
The Courthouse Chapel was built in 1905 and was originally the Esk Courthouse and Police Station. It was moved from its original Highland Street site to Caboonbah Homestead on the Esk-Kilcoy Road to make way for the construction of the current Police Station in the late 1980's.
Some years after a devasting fire consumed Caboonbah Homestead, the BV Historical Society offered the remaining buildings up for sale.
Mark and Kay were successful in their tender for the Courthouse and Jail, and relocated them back to Esk. The Courthouse now sits proudly in its town of origin only a couple of hundred metres from its original site.
Although the Chapel is owned and operated by Brisbane Valley Funerals, it is also the perfect venue for other life celebrations including weddings, renewal of vows &naming days.
The parcel of land on which the Courthouse now sits was once the location of the Esk Railway Station Master's residence. After the closure of the railway, unfortunately the Station Master's residence was also consumed by fire (even though the fire station is located right next door!).